Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Imagineering Ideas: Hollywood Studios

It is my current dream to be an Imagineer, and with that dream naturally comes ideas for all the parks around the world. I plan to dedicate a few posts about my ideas for multiple Disney Parks.

Today, I will go over what seems to be regarded as the worst of the WDW parks, Hollywood Studios. I feel this park has a ton of potential, as I have a deep love for what the park represents: The Entertainment that makes millions happy every year. So, lets get started!

The Great Movie Rides
Yes, you read that right, rideS. My plan includes not only an update to the existing GMR, but adding two new versions that run on the same idea: Celebrating Films. I would the keep most of the existing scenes from the current GMR, but replace some of the scenes. Scene that would be candidates for replacement would be Footlight Parade, Alien, The Horror Section (Possibly with an actual Horror Film?) and Tarzan. (What these films would be replaced by would really be based on film availability.)

At the same time as this update is occurring, two other similar rides would be built. First, A revival of The Muppet Movie Ride idea, which would parody a number of the greatest movies of all time, while also delving into The Muppet's own rich movie history. The other, a creation of my own design, would be The History of Disney Animation, which would go through the history of Disney Short Films, Television Animation, and Feature Animation. This ride would be huge, featuring both the famous and the rare.

Phineas and Ferb's Tour of Walt Disney World
I've always thought that Disney Television Animation has been sorely represented in the parks, and I've been trying to find ways to better insert them into the parks. A perfect way to integrate the best Cartoon on TV into the parks is to use the show's trademark humor that would but a humorous spin on the resort itself. This would be an interactive motion simulator, allowing guest to have a unique ride every time. Of course, it would feature all the major characters from the show. I would only want this done if we were able to work with the creators of Phineas and Ferb

Expansion of Pixar Place
First, all of the following ideas hinge on the demolition of the Backlot Tour. This would free up so much room that expansion abilities for both Streets of America and Pixar Place would increase Tenfold.

The first big idea would to have a giant Monsters Inc Subland, which would include both The Monsters Inc Coaster and The Laugh Floor, which I would move from the Magic Kingdom to DHS in order to clear out room for my Tron idea (More on that in another post.)

Instead of Copying the Remy Ride that is going to Paris, My Rat movie representation would be, what else, a restaurant.

Also, I would move Pizza Planet to Pixar Place, which would free up some room for the Muppet Movie Ride across from Muppet*Vision 3D

I also want to add The Incredibles, WALL-E, and UP into this area, but I haven't found the right idea yet. The Best Idea I have for WALL-E would be to simply use his Living Character as one of the unique experiences of the area. An UP dark ride focusing on saving Kevin could also work, but it would need to be thought about further.

So there you have it, most of my ideas for DHS. The only other idea I'm currently working on is what to replace Sounds Dangerous with, but I've been hard pressed to find one. (The two ideas I have are live versions of Whose Line is it Anyway or something ESPN related.)

Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question, or even leave you ideas!

1 comment:

DC Pop Fanatic said...

Great Post! As we discussed on Twitter, foremost would like to see the 'Hat' removed. It's original intent was fitting but definitely time for it to be removed for the focus coming down Main Street to be Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

Like to see Disney Hollywood Studios be a combination of 'old' Hollywood and Pixar Studios. As you suggested, like to see Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor be moved from Magic Kingdom to DHS and an expansion of Cars, similar to what they're doing in DCA, Carsland.

Would like to see Voyage of the Little Mermaid (though an older attraction, still having a strong following) moved to Fantasyland and One Man's Dream, moved to Main Street at the Magic Kingdom freeing up quite a bit of space for expansion at DHS.

Like your suggestion of moving Pizza Planet nearer Pixar Studios allowing for expansion of the Muppets in that area.

DHS, formerly Disney MGM at one time was my 2nd favorite of the parks but is in definite need of some revamping as DAK is moving along in the right direction as is Epcot.